Alternative publication models
OJS allows you to assign a submission to an issue that has already been published. Doing so immediately publishes the submission. Therefore, implementing a rolling publication model is simple in OJS.
To implement a rolling publication model:
- Determine your publication cycle (e.g., annual).
- At the beginning of the publication cycle, create a new issue.
- Publish the issue.
- When you have completed the editorial and production workflow for a submission, publish it be assigning it to the current issue in Publication > Issue. The submission will now appear be live on the OJS site.
- Repeat step 4 until the end of the publication cycle.
- At the end of the publication cycle, return to step 2.
If you use the rolling publication model, you cannot use OJS’s built-in notification to notify your readers about newly published submissions – it only sends notifications for new issues. You may wish to use the Announcements plugin in order to send notifications about newly published submissions.
- You may wish to delay publication of the new issue until you have a submission ready to publish in the new publication cycle. This will prevent OJS from displaying an empty table of contents on your journal's homepage. ↵
- Unless you have assigned a submission when you first publish the issue (see footnote 1). In this case, OJS will automatically assign and register the DOI. ↵